Part of the difficulty during this period of time is that we can’t do much. We are literally confined to our homes and told to distance ourselves. On top of that, our financial stability may feel uncertain as we face new challenges many of us have never seen in our lifetimes. So what do we even have left to give? What could we possibly do to help right now?
How you can give back is simple: Be exactly the extraordinary person God created you to be.
God created each of us with many gifts and talents and each one of these contributions are unique, yet dependent on one another (Check out 1 Corinthians 12 – It’s one of my favorites!!). You are the gift and the gift of you is necessary to this planet, right now, today. This is a time we can all rise up and truly come together as a community – regardless of our differing beliefs, thoughts and opinions – to support each other. What we do for one, no matter how big or small, creates an impact on the others life. So what I do impacts you and what you do impacts me. And together, through small and large gestures alike, we create community.
You may be wondering how you can give back, or what gifts and talents you can to bring to the table. I love our humanness because we are so much more than what we ‘do’; we are more than laborers, professionals or stay at home parents. While these occupations are important and we learn a substantial amount of skills through them, we are dynamic and our humanness adds to the amazing abilities we’ve already acquired through those experiences.
So what could these other skills be? Some examples of the gifts and talents that can be shared with others include:
- Being a good listener
- Providing wisdom, emotional support, spiritual support or encouragement
- Teaching or offering a service from one of your hobbies: Gardening, woodworking, sewing, baking, etc.
- Praying for others and for our leaders to make sound decisions (1 Timothy 2:1-2)
- Being light-hearted, humorous or gregarious (thank you to those with these special talents!!)
- Offering personal financial analysis or budgeting help
- Providing resume review and job search advice
- Being good with children (while you may be unable to interact with kids, you can provide tips and activity ideas to grateful parents)
- Artistic abilities such as providing craft ideas or creating and gifting your work to uplift another
- Musical talents – Could you imagine life without music right now?? That would be unsurvivable!!
- Not sure what you can do? Everyone can do a random act of kindness, lend a hand, write a thoughtful note or simply give a smile.
The gifts and talents God has given each of us are truly unlimited when we are united together. I look around at those in my life and I see these gifts spring up right in front of me. My neighbor is a teacher and is excellent with children. I could learn SO much from her. My mom is always upbeat and encouraging. What an amazing gift to offer others right now. My husband is physically strong – imagine what he could do to help neighbors and elderly around their yards! All of my siblings and friends are gifted in their own ways: hilarious, wise, creative, patient, gentle, peaceful, resilient, supportive and optimistic. They each are a gift in just sharing that part of themselves with others.
So what are your God-given gifts and talents you can share during this time? What can you give freely and generously with no expectation of return? How can God use you? Don’t ask permission to be generous. Share you gifts and talents today. Hear me!! YOU ARE NEEDED.
Meditation: Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. – 1 Corinthians 12:12
*To discover you spiritual gifts, visit The Catherine of Siena Institute for more information on their Called and Gifted program (C&G). Interested in their workshop? Call St. Vincent’s Church in Fort Wayne, Indiana to sign up for their next C&G workshop on Saturday, October 10.